Pete's edited diary

I don't think anybody here has mentioned the fact that Pete changed his
diary a few hours after posting it.  The first version had the following
sentence, which was the one I most strongly objected to:

"For my part I am not attempting to deliberately establish any sense of
memorial or tribute to John. I don't know for certain that John would have
wanted us to go on, neither would it matter if I thought he would not have
approved. I simply believe we have a duty to go on, to ourselves, ticket
buyers, staff, promoters, big and little people. I also have a duty to
myself, my dependent family and friends, and to guide Roger and the rest of
the band at this time."

The new version:

"For my part I am not attempting to deliberately establish any sense of
memorial or tribute to John. Unlike others I entirely respect (including
many of John's friends and family) I don't feel I know for certain that John
would have wanted us to go on. I simply believe we have a duty to go on, to
ourselves, ticket buyers, staff, promoters, big and little people. I also
have a duty to myself and my dependent family and friends. I also want to
help guide Roger and the rest of the band at this time, all of whom have
been shaken by John's death. "

I think Pete himself even realized that the comment about "neither would it
matter" was a little harsh for people grieving.

Tim Ballou put it best:  "What's interesting to me -- in comparing Roger's
statement with Pete's --
is the never-changing dynamic.  Roger -- the beaming glass half-full, and
Pete, the sour-puss glass half-empty.  Even in this time of tragedy, our
beloved Grumpy Old Rock Star continues to play twisted mind games with us
(and with himself, perhaps) by rubbing our noses in his negativity. "

That's exactly what I was thinking but I couldn't articulate it.  Put hey,
Pete is Pete.

On another note.  The one thing that this tragedy has done is that it's
brought out a lot of people who are "lurkers" on the lists.  It's nice to
see so many people posting.  And with every message of how John affected
you, it makes me feel better.

Have a good Sunday.

Jason