After the fire

Now it's become a shouting match between those who want the band to stop, and those who want them to go on, with the occasional heart-felt reaction in between. We all hurt, so don't lash out, OK? This is a lot like 9/11, as far as the reaction it has created. Maybe it's just more of that, a world where what's best for people is no longer encouraged and no one seems to mind when people blatantly step over thoughtfully laid-out guidelines, for their own benefit, but instead a world where nightmares become reality. This is a nightmare. Definitely.

I have Pure And Easy on right now. My all-time favorite Who song. Lovely song, that. Helps a bit.

I do agree completely with those who say if the band doesn't continue now, it will be over. Why is that a bad thing? The Stones are a great example of going on far beyond their time. I don't want The Who to become The Stones. They've already skated too much on that thin ice for my tastes. OK, so perhaps I'm more concerned with their legacy than most. Or than I should be. After all, it's only Rock And Roll...oh yeah, that's a Stones song. Maybe too much of my self-image depends on being right about this band being above and beyond all the others. I have no perspective right now. I was more excited about seeing the other Who fans than the actual two hours of concert, and yet while I still have that aspect coming I feel empty, numb, detached, and there's a hunger. I don't know what else to call it. A desire? No, hunger is more like it. Can't say what I crave, though. I don't even know myself.

Going on? I agree with Magik that this smacks of post-Cincinnati mistakes. "John's dead, but fuck it, we can't let a little thing like THAT stop us." Yeah. How does that sound? That's almost word for word what Pete said about going on after the stampede.

Lela, Tony Butler's the better choice. I stand by that. At least more what these guys need for Who music than Palladino. But I agree with you, and Leslie, that we have no right to tell these guys what to do. We have only our own standards, and we know what we would do if the situation were ours to deal with. If not the canceled tour, then at least a delayed tour. And then perhaps if it must be, a tour with Pete and Roger on acoustic guitars and Zak in the back, Rabbit on the side. Anyway, that's what I would do.

Yes, Kevin, it will be each night for Pete and Roger. And after a while, it will be just saying the words because you are supposed to say the words. Or so I fear.

And I do think there's a lot to fear. They could have gone out as heroes. Now...

Who Are You is on now. How appropriate.

                  Cheers                                  ML