The greatest bass player that ever walked the face of the Earth

I've been avoiding checking my mail. I've been on the phone with Who fans all evening. Sad, someone said...yes, I'm sad. I'm shocked. I'm bummed in so many ways, including the fact that now the Who gatherings will not take place. So many reasons.

However, to try to put it into perspective...we've been damned lucky. Pete was a Heroin addict, remember? We have gotten more from The Who...the greatest Rock band that ever walked the face of the Earth...than most music fans get from their bands. Wish it had been more, but it could have been a Hell of a lot less. And they went out on a high note...I'm assuming here that Pete and Roger will have the grace not to take this particular vehicle onward, but with the hope they might take a chance and go forward in a new direction (but if not, that's cool)...yes, what most people will remember about The Who is the NYC concert. They were still a world class great band to the end. Their status is forever intact, and that might not have happened. We have a great catalog to listen to. We have countless live performances captured in varying degrees of sound quality and video, too. We have a lot to be thankful for, as Who fans. John had a better life than he would have as a tax man. We were fortunate to have his music, to share and bring us together. And to pass on to others.

My sympathies to John's family and friends.

Rock is dead, they say. Now they're right.

    In deep sorrow                     ML