Re: New Pete Diary

> Pete has a new diary entry at his site. Go to:
> http://www.petetownshend.co.uk/diary/index.cfm?zone=diary
>
> The Who: Rough Mix II? I can dig it.

I'm not sure I like this idea.  ROUGH MIX sounds like a Pete solo album
with guests, and I can't see any Who album sounding like that.  If he
means the songs, then yes, there are some gems there, but I'd rather
they went for something totally new, rather than repeating any model
that's gone before.  A week or so ago I got into a rant about this on
O&S and said they should go off in a bold new direction--that anything
retro or conservative would leave them in an ambiguous position.  I
still pretty much think that.

Also, I think all those fans who have signed up on The Who chatboard
are looking for The Who's usual message.  They got a taste of it at
CFNYC, and now they want more.  They want some uplift, and to be told
that we can deal with our problems.  Pete says The Who is a fine
instrument with a narrow focus, and this is it.  The Who still produces
that message.  We heard it in the improvs last tour, so it's not
something that's gone away.  Backed by The Who, and faced with The
Who's audience, Pete can still produce that material.  He shouldn't
make any kind of plans until he's out there on this tour.

LB

=====
...you're dicing with the devil.  ;)
http://fifaworldcup.yahoo.com