Pete diary entry

http://www.petetownshend.co.uk/diary/display.cfm?id=15&zone=diary

020614 PT diary

Back to Diary Dates
Rehearsals are going very well. We are working at my recently revived Oceanic studios in West London, and using simplified and modernised video equipment to tape the sessions. Matt Kent has already managed to post a few segments on the www.petetownshend.com website. I put the video rig together when I should have been sailing in France for a 12 day break prior to work, but I enjoyed fiddling around in the studio almost as much. Matt has been directing and cutting the footage, with a video team including my daughter Minta as floor manager. The sound is being delivered via my funky old Focusite desk manned by Lincoln Fong with the help of Bobby Pridden of course.

It's been a good week so far with just two more days to go. On Saturday we are performing and taping for our sponsors JBL. It will be like a proper show I think. Part of it may appear as our final posting on the website. I have to say that we could hardly ask for more appropriate sponsors. We in The Who as a band and as individuals have been using JBL products since we first bought decent equipment, both on the road and in studios. Now a lot of what they make is for use in cars and at home. Their professional products are still a big part of my life.

We broke through a great barrier yesterday when we played Roger's lovely new song Certified Rose. It is a ballad. He has written a lot of rockers, but this is the one I personally loved the most. It reminds me very much of some of the more tender songs written by my old friend the late Ronnie Lane of The Faces. I look forward to playing it live. Today I hope we can scrub the edges of a song I wrote in 95 about Elvis called Good Looking Boy. Wouldn't it be great if some future Who album had the comfortable and solid feel of Rough Mix?

I am excited about the website going back up right now, we are holding our breath on the reintroduction of the chatroom which is unmoderated. It is growing very fast indeed. Matt Kent and Andy Neill's book is going on sale at such a perfect time too. It's a really good book, I didn't expect it to be so colourful and to contain so many good - but unseen - photos. But what is most gratifying for us is that our new collection The Who Ultimate Collection is exceeding all expectations for initial sales. I thought everyone who loved The Who would have consumed it all by now, but this has perhaps been partly a measure of loyalty from old and new fans. It is really a buzz for us.

At our last show at the Albert Hall earlier this year, while I was pretending for a minute to be off my head on drugs I fell over a wobbly front stage monitor. I landed in the front rows like a demented Bono and tried to continue to play my guitar, with the help of people around me. Apparently, I hurt a few people when I fell, happily not seriously. But as I decided then to rush around the stage swearing like some lunatic (though I was delighted with the incident really) some of those hurt got the impression I was really angry in some way. I wasn't. I will stop pretending to be drunk from now on I promise. I'm sorry too I didn't hear about what happened until well after the event. I really had no idea it has affected anyone badly.

I'm tired. I haven't had a proper holiday since last year and it is entirely my own fault. But I have had plenty of short breaks. You then see how high-class my 'problems' are. One break recently in France saw me working with my new sailing crew for a series of races on the Cote d'Azur. A few years ago I sold my old classic boat Pazienza because, after nine years of restoration, I thought I was over it all. Recently I decided that even if I was short of time, I wanted to be a part of the racing scene again.

My racing manager Tim Dewhurst (from Cornwall) is very competitive. He and I started a small syndicate in Cornwall over the past three years that raced J24s. Four of us Cornwall locals had shares in one of these fast, but quite modest racing yachts. There is a large fleet now where we raced in Falmouth in Cornwall. We did incredibly well. I expect they're all glad to see the back of us. I have a trophy cupboard stuffed to the limit with cups. The new boat is bigger, and we are back in the world of expensive and cherished massive classic yachts and modern pseudo classics (like mine), racing against people with lots of money, and project boats with commercial investment behind them. They are determined not to lose in the long run. I'm happy to say we - rather my crew, because I was back here rehearsing by the time they actually raced - came first in their very first race in my new boat Zephyr.

The tour schedule this year is not arduous. I will get plenty of time to relax, and time to spend on the water with my friends and family - which is my favourite way to settle my head. I look forward to playing this year. My brother Simon has done exactly what we asked him to do, extended the scope of material we can play and our list is now just about as powerful musically as it ever could be. With a couple of brand new songs in the list, not pretending to be hits, but rather showing that we are still creative in our own unique way, I believe there will be something surprising and special for everyone who comes to see us this year.

Salutations

Pete Townshend