Re: TOTP

There are some interesting films on these pages which I would love to see,
"Z-Cars", "Sykes" and "Dixon of Dock Green" which probably date me though
I am sure others like John Hughes and Max remember these fondly....

Most of the films that have been reported missing from years past that we
are interested in on this list that being Who related have often
either been copied, lost, or are in the hands of private collectors.
During the old days film was very expensive (well still is really but
cheaper in studio bulk) and that being the case shows that were aired
already were often copied over and the films used over and over again,
this being the case which many episodes of such old favorites to us
"ex-pats" as Z-Cars are pointed out in the url Lela posted in the line and
I quote: "Missing Believed Wiped".

A lot of us may think that the films of old were "lost" as in "we can't
find it anywhere" when in fact the shows were just recorded over or
"borrowed" from some smart thinking studio engineer or assistant. A recent
discovery of the complete 1972 Paris show at the Fete D L'Humanite'
is a typical example of how films just turn up after languishing in
someone's attic, in this case the son of a news cameraman found the studio
reels and in the case of professional shot concert Who films such as
Georgetown 69', Anaheim 70', Saratoga 71', Daly City 73', Largo 73',
Houston 75' and so on it's often typical in that during the madness and
chaos of a show that films are immediately archived thereafter by the
promoters and years later left to budding private collectors to find and
pay obscene amounts of money for.

Whereas above I am talking about live concert performance films the TV and
Film studios today have a much better archiving process and Beta SP type
tapes are
still the standard. The 3/4" and 1/2" tapes for archive use during the
1960's and 1970's are the ones studios are looking for in regards to the
treasure hunt of films.
A fine example of the holy grail of all Who TV studio finds is surely that
of "NME's Poll Winners Show" from 1966 which is well sought after by
Beatles and Who film collectors alike. This is well rumored to be in the
hands of a French film archivist today and was at last hearing being
offered to Macca himself.

Dave...
--
http://www.thewho-rabbit.com