Comments On Pete's VH1 Interview

	>From: "Scott Schrade"
	>Subject: Re: Comments On Pete's VH1 Interview
>> Regarding Schrade's "pissy" review of Pete's interview.........
>> Cousin, cheer the ef up!!!!
>
>You're right.  I was too nasty & too personal.  Nearly Fang-like in my
>bitterness.  That scares me.  Really, I'm not obsessive.  :-)

Don't go beating yourself all up now.

>I think he's serious as hell.

Damn it Schrade, I said cheer up!

>I think he believes a new Who album is a big-time mistake.

I think he *fears* it's a mistake, but deep inside, he knows it could be
grand.

>I think he was talked into it by Daltrey.  I think
>Daltrey gave him that "We're not gettin' any younger...." speech.

No question.

>I think Pete agreed to do the album for Roger.

No. Pete does things for himself.  Roger may be the spur, but Pete wouldn't
expose his ass just for Roger.  He had to believe somewhere in his heart of
hearts that this would be a good thing.

>I think Pete regrets making that decision.

I won't go that far.  He's scared.  We knew he would be and can't blame him.
But, I think he wants to make this work.
I keep coming back to what he wrote a while back about the realization that
his best (paraphrase) means of getting his artistic expressions out to the
public is via The Who.
So, then, the question begs to be asked......if he knows that The Who is his
best vehicle, then why pretend that The Boy Who Head Music will be a solo
project?????
Has he changed his thinking on all of this????
I don't believe so.
Damn, I miss his web site and diary entries.

>He *is* talking the truth.

Pete truth.

>And he's making sure he has an "out."

He's *trying* to be honest?

>With all the talk about "I don't know if we'll be able to do it....," Pete
gives him-
>self the groundwork to say this Winter, "Well, we tried it.  Couldn't come
>up with anything.  Too bad.  Didn't work.  Told ya' it might not."
>He's making sure he has an out.

If he's *really* going to leave it up to Roger to write the songs, then yep.
It's over.
To me, he's trying to allow Roger to contribute this go 'round.  Is it due
to $$$??  That Roger wants more income down the road with writers
royalties???
Songs written by Rog will fail.  Pete will get pissed, and then say "Here.
Here is my 'Boy Who Heard Music' book and accompanying songs.  Let's use
this, like I wanted to in the beginning".
At least I pray.

>> A Who album written by Roger.  Ha!
>(shudder)  Oh the pain.  The pain!

Like a root canal.

>Roger bared *his* soul when he expressed his opinions to Pete about
>wanting to be able to play & record with The Who at this stage of their
lives.
>That takes guts.

It needed to be said.  But, it was also good timing.  Pete knows his solo
career isn't going anywhere.

>So why can't Pete just suck it up & follow through properly on this whole
new
>Who album idea?  Why can't he just *believe* that he can do it?  And do it!

Roger wants to contribute and Pete doesn't think it's a good idea?

>Maybe it's because he still thinks Roger is just a twit.  Many people do.
I've
>heard Pete defend Roger before (and cut him down 10 seconds later!), so why
>can't Pete be fully in Roger's corner on the album project?  Why?! Why?!
Why?!
>I demand answers.

<clackity-clackity-clackity>
sound of the Who roller coaster making the initial ascent....soon to be
followed by a whole bunch of ups and downs.  Who fandom.  Ya can't beat it.

>There really needs to be a thoughtful study written about the
friction-filled re-
>lationship between Pete Townshend & Roger Daltrey throughout the years.
>Someone get to work on that!

Hard enough just keeping up with the current Jones' .

Here are some of the most telling lines from Pete's VH1 interview:
"The next challenge for me is whether I can get creative with these guys in
the Who that I love so much."
That's nice.  Warm and fuzzy even, and actually quite optimistic.
"I don't plan to write any songs at all if I can avoid it!"
IF....I....CAN...AVOID....IT!!  A ha!  Go in "planning" on letting Rog lead,
but take over once it becomes "unavoidable" !!!
"I'm completely open. I'm up for anything. I'm ready to go in the studio and
run the marathon,"
Run, boy, run!!
"but I can't promise to finish"
Finish *Roger's* marathon, or the marathon that Pete has already started
with The Boy Who heard Music ??????
"I wrote two final albums for the Who that critics, Who fans and even Roger
slaughtered."
Oooooooo, this is telling.  He's pissed at Roger.  He's pissed, and is
sitting back ready to say "Rog 'ol mate, you write like an elephant shits.
I'll be back in 2 months with the demo's."
"I love the purity of working on my own, the acuteness of the view".
Yes you do Pete-y, that's why you're afraid and not optimistic about trying
to write songs with Rog.  Can anyone say FORESHADOWING????
"One day I hope to work on movies and sit down with other creative people
like Bowie or Roger or Robert Plant or whomever, and share the creative
process".
One day, but not today, and not on a Who Album, RIGHT PETE??  He'll share
the creative process on a "movie" (he knows Roger's strengths) but knows
better than to try and get something done for The Who with Roger in a
collaborative way.  He knows it's not going to work, and It's my *HOPE* that
he'll then resort to The Boy Who Heard Music ...by.......The Oooo.
To wrap up............Cheer the ef up Cousin!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!   :-)
Kevin in VT

Kevin in VT