12/3/79 Cinci

 I was not at the Cinci show but at the Cap Centre in Landover after the WHO
bravely and sadly went on after the tragedy about 9 days later. The times
were like right now, we had the Iranian Crisis, the economy was going nuts (I
think the Carter Admin had the prime rate up to 21% at one point), people
were losing jobs left and right. It just seemed like it would NEVER end, one
bad thing after another, kinda like
right now, alot like right now. Well the WHO went on, I think theres was talk
of canceling but like the current tragedy with John, the boys went on. The 2
nights at the Cap Center are so significant out of all the WHO shows outside
of Woodstock, Ilse of Wight, I know of at least 3 websites devoted to those
nights, college friends
have carried the ticket stubs around for close to 3 decades, and heres why in
my opinion. This country was at its lowest point, Im sure after the deaths of
the kids in
Cinci The WHO were at a major low point and under heated critizism for
continuing the tour, BUT the first night in Landover was pure MAGIC!! Pete
was young then, still
had hair and it was brown and to say they blew the roof right off the Cap
Centre is
an understatement. About mid-way through the show Pete all sweaty (yes he
really
could jump about as high as 4 or 5 feet in the air while wailing on the
getbox) he stopped everything, the crowd was moved to silence and he stated
and I WILL NEVER forget what he said that night, he said something to this
effect "ITS GREAT TO BE BACK IN THE UNITED STATES!!! YOU ARE THE BEST COUNTRY
AND THE BEST PEOPLE IN THE WHOLE WORLD AND NEVER LET ANYONE TELL YOU ANYTHING
DIFFERENT!! I mean he'd already done us the favor as far as I was concerned
THEY WERE THE BEST BAND IN THE WORLD AND NOBODY COULD SAY ANY DIFFERENT!! I
mean Pete did things on the guitar I just thought inhumanely possible that
night. The fukin WHO are the worlds best band, look how
Roger almost broke down and his voice cracked during the WTC benefit during
behind blue eyes as the crowd lit lighters and matches and held up photos of
loved ones lost.  I say that these are the tough old birds of Rock and Roll,
they mean what they say, and say what they mean, they werent BSing when they
wrote Long Live Rock!! and they are not now!! I hope the tour continues on
and on, GOD BLESS THE WHO!! They are the one of the best things that ever
happened to rock and roll!!
Pete, Zak and Rog please march on, I love you more than words can say, you've
seen tragedies, lost beloved bandmates and still have the balls to blow it
out like no one else on Earth. By the way on the way out on 12/12/79, it was
tight, we got caught in a hall lock, the Cinci thing raced through my mind, I
took my old lady by the hand and ran back into the arena and out the other
side, the tragedy was fresh in
our minds I kid you not

 - Yours Bill