[no subject]

I'm not gay, says Townshend

by Richard Allen
The Who's Pete Townshend has admitted to having gay
affairs during his drug-fuelled past.

The guitarist and songwriter said he had sex with men
"consciously" and "unconsciously" during the Sixties.
He made the revelations in rock magazine Rolling Stone
after his former friend Danny Fields claimed in a book
that the pair had been "boyfriend and boyfriend".

Townshend, 57, who is touring the US following the
death of Who colleague John Entwistle, is furious and
accused Field, the former Ramones manager, of drugging
him and taking advantage of him. He said: "I think
there's only two cases where I've experimented
consciously and I think Danny's situation might be one
where it might be said I experimented unconsciously.
It's a bit of a shock for me but there it is."

Townshend said: "To be honest, I can't remember much
about any of it. It was to do with the fact that I was
actually completely smashed out of my head.

"I'm 57, I've got a young girlfriend, I'm not gay. I'm
not interested in men. I don't think I really have
been."

Fields denied that he drugged Townshend to have sex
with him.

=====
-Brian in Atlanta
The Who This Month!