Re: offensive on THIS list (an anal-ogy)

From: "L. Bird" <pkeets@hotmail.com>
"Tsk, tsk. Busily offending people again."

Yeah.
Somehow, being in this little discussion group I sometimes get the picture that I am locked up in a car on a *very* long road trip and one of the passengers keeps farting.

Every time he does it we spend time and energy trying to assign blame ('was it the diet', 'the drinking', 'bad manners', etc?). Then the farter tries to either excuse himself or proclaim his innocence ('we all do it', 'you started it', 'I'm just contributing to the conversation', etc.) Sometimes others might even jump in to explain his behavior ('he can't help it', 'it was an innocent gesture', 'they're funny', 'who amongst you hasn't done the same?', etc). These explanations are usually quite reasonable.

When you look at it that way, it can be funny in a pre-adolescent kind of way.

Maybe it's just me.

I don't think there is anything I can do to stop the farts. It ain't my ass or my car. I guess I'll have to learn to appreciate the humor in the stench or find alternate transportation. I really do think that he just can't help it.

Buck