Who's On TOP!

I've been listening to my Who By Numbers re-master CD lately
and marveling about this band and just how special they are as
individuals and band-mates.    "How Many Friends" in particular
is simply splendid.   There are other gems on this album too.

The only parallels I can draw is in sports and business.

See if you can hang with my thinking.
While most of my contemporaries are playing golf and sitting around
smoking cigars at parties this summer,   I prefer to play pickup
basketball, and play with the kids (swim, whiffle-ball, capture the flag),
I'm actually a decent golfer, and more than a decent basketball player
but I could never earn a living at either of them (coaching maybe).  To
continue my analogy, I couldn't make any CBA, European league
team as their worst player, and playing on an NBA team is unimaginable.

I'm far from being on a level like Michael Jordan in ability and
consequently popularity (I'm more interested in ability than fame).
I'm also far from being on a Tigger Woods level in Golf.
I develop software and make decent living at it, but I am far from being
a Bill Gates....

So when playing guitar and singing, I naturally compare myself to the best -
the top - the people that not only can make a living at it, but perform at
the absolute top level.  They write their own material, they pioneer
equipment,
techniques, style, changed the industry, produced enormous wealth,
blah, blah ... blah.    The Who - as individuals and as
a band are the best comparison for me.   They are simply the TOP.  To
compare them to Michael Jordan, Tiger Woods, and Bill Gates is to
belittle their abilities and impact throughout their career.

We are all very lucky that we have much more than a simple performance to
hold onto.  We have hundreds of great performances, and songs that will
make their legacy live on for a very long time.

This is all my very humble opinion.

Joe in Philly   -   See you in Camden 7/27

Joe Lewinski
ICANON Associates, Inc.
Phone: 610-313-1850 x 115
Fax: 610-313-1848

NEWZware is a product of ICANON Inc. - Visit our web site at
http://www.icanon.com/ for more information on ICANON, the company, and its
suite of products and services.