Re: The Who Mailing List Digest V9 #198

Date: Tue, 9 Jul 2002 06:10:30 EDT
From: TJLY99@aol.com
Subject: ANYWAY ANYHOW ANYWHERE...????BOOK

Hello. Simon Malia from Liverpool in England, here - coming out of lurk mode. I just wanted to say a big thank you to the people on this list and others. I get digests, and they've been very, very helpful during this awful time.

I never met John Entwistle, but I've been a Who fan since I was a nipper, and I'm 45 now. I did see JAE with his band "The Ox" at Newcastle City Hall back in late 74, and of course with The Who many, many times.

It's been hard listening to music of any kind these past few days. But I must say I'm pleased and proud that Pete and Roger have carried on with the tour. Maybe that seemed cold to some people, but they're English Boys, brought up right. They carry on.

Now, I'm really looking forward to getting hold of this "Anyway Anyhow Anywhere" book. Other listers who've had copies already are raving about it - I guess it must be good.

What I can say is that yesterday in the post, I got a copy of "Classic Performances of The Who", featuring the photographs of Stewart Hellman from the show at Tanglewood, Lennox, Massachusetts in July 1970.

I know that others have mentioned this book in the past, and maybe you've read a bit about Stewart's battles to get this book published.

Well, for my money, this is a great book. Lots of dynamic, moody black and white shots of The Who in action - this is the "Live At Leeds" era here - so it's fire and passion, Pete in a white boiler suit, Roger as the emerging sex god, Keith as the demon drummer possessed, and The Ox as himself.

Like the music, the pictures are about passion and emotion rather than mere technique - so some are pin-sharp and hard, almost brutal, some have a softer focus, reflecting that ability of The Who to blur the edges between hard rock, jazz and whatever-else-you-got.

Put the music on - and you're there. It's a different age to the blokes we're feeling so much for today. But it's The Who - and The Who goes on...

Just my thoughts. Back to lurking. And thanks again folks - for being there.