More to the Story - No (Tour) Insurance

According to a story in today's New York Post,"sources" claim the real reason the Who did not re-schedule the first leg or cancel the tour entirely is that they did not have insurance to cover losses from cancellations. Pete was said to be particularly upset at having to perform before John was buried. Apparently, someone fucked up big time.

Here's the link: http://www.nypost.com/entertainment/51639.htm

It makes sense although the band would never release this information because it makes Pete's decision to continue right away look to be just about the money. The one thing I don't understand is that if they were going to re-schedule, what kind of losses are we talking about?

According to other reports, the Who had already received an advance of $5 million on a tour that was expected to gross $21-25 million. the Hard Rock in Vegas paid the Who $800K to perform. If you multiply that by 27 dates, the take will be $21,600,000 plus other ancillary revenues.

One news outlet reported that the Who contacted Pino several weeks ago and asked him to keep his schedule open in the event that John's heart condition would prevent him from playing some of the shows. How sadly prophetic.

David in NY