[no subject]

FOR JOHN

The remaining members of The Who last night paid
tribute to their friend and former bass player, John
Entwistle, at the opening night of their North
American tour.

The band dedicated their performance at the sold-out
Hollywood Bowl venue to Entwistle, who died of a
suspected heart attack last week.

Before the concert began, a video of the band
rehearsing was broadcast over huge video screens. The
18,000 strong audience erupted with cheers and screams
every time Entwistle's image appeared.

As the video finished the band took to the stage to be
greeted with a standing ovation.

During the performance the band often came close to
breaking into tears. Guitarist Pete Townshend was
noticeably dejected. He said: "Listen, we know for
some of the fans that have followed us many years,
this is going to be very difficult - a friend of mine
in the front row just disappeared for five minutes and
I thought 'Awww!' This is difficult."

The band concluded their 17 song set with Townshend
and singer, Roger Daltrey, waving farewell to their
friend as video screens projected a slideshow of
John's images, from his childhood to his older days.

Session bass player Pino Palladino, who has played
with Tears for Fears, Eric Clapton and Elton John, was
drafted in to replace Entwistle and played much of the
show out of the audience's view.

Before the show Pete Townshend had revealed why he
chose to carry on. Writing on his official website,
www.petetownshend.co.uk , he said: "For my part I am
not attempting to deliberately establish any sense of
memorial or tribute to John.

"Unlike others I entirely respect (including many of
John's friends and family) I don't feel I know for
certain that John would have wanted us to go on. I
simply believe we have a duty to go on, to ourselves,
ticket buyers, staff, promoters, big and little
people.

"I also have a duty to myself and my dependent family
and friends. I also want to help guide Roger and the
rest of the band at this time, all of whom have been
shaken by John's death."

Townshend also revealed that Roger Daltrey had left
the decision whether to continue with the tour
entirely up to him.

=====
-Brian in Atlanta
The Who This Month!