Re: Here we go again...

>From: Sigel James Civ 10 ABW/LGCW <James.Sigel@usafa.af.mil>
>"Thanks Marilyn Manson, useless parents, and crazed liberalism that fights
>to keep kids from facing consequences of their actions."

>Wow.  This is an outrageous statement.  Talk about *gross*
>generalizations.  So I guess liberalism, poor parenting and offensive
>music is responsible for the fact that kids don't like The Who.

I agree with Jim here (and I'm generally a serious leftie).  I've been
worried very much about the tendency to over-protect kids from discipline in
the schools (enforced by laws, lawsuits and angry parental visits), and the
result that law enforcement personnel are then called in to handle
situations that result when kids have no real guidance on what is acceptable
behavior (either at school or at home).  There is no excuse for allowing a
child to have complete freedom to assault adults verbally, and then for a
security officer to throw him/her to the floor and handcuff him/her when
they cross some invisible line.  (I just can't do anything with him!)

This is a serious disservice to children, as they suddenly cross the line at
18 where they have to take responsibility for their own actions, and end up
committing serious offenses and end up in jail.  Even worse, some
well-publicized cases in recent years where young adults have gotten in
trouble in other countries and their parents still try to bail them out.
Current case: John Walker Lindh.

This has nothing really to do with libralism, music or what bands the kids
listen to.  But one thing about it, such institutions as MTV do seem to
encourage kids to engage in outrageous behavior, and unfortunately many of
the musicians/bands you see on TV seem to play down to the kids, i.e. to act
like they're thirteen instead of thirty.  Did anybody see the MTV music
awards last year?  Mick Jagger stuck out as unusually reserved and refined.

It's hard to consider that The Who might be a paragon of refined behavior
these days, but it sort of looks that way.  They have good control of the
audience (no riots or burning vendor carts at Who shows), and provide a
reasonable model of behavior both on stage and off.  It's true that The Who
built much of their reputation on auto-destruction and wild behavior and so
bear some of the responsibility for establishing the noteriety model of PR,
but they were larger than life, you know.  It's a problem when everybody
takes that as an appropriate way to behave.

keets