Flintstones Jammin'/New Who Record Will Flop - I Hope!

Howdy Wholigans,

This is SWEET:

>Was that episode where Fred became a rock star named Rock Roll?  I seem to
>remember the twist being the main dance in that one.  Or was Fred singing
>"Mockingbird" in that.  "Listen to him rock, listen to him roll.  Hear him.

>tweet tweet..."

Remeber the one where Fred and Barney end up in a beatnik club and an old
high school chum of Fred's is the main beatnik.  "Scoodly woo-wha wha..."
He gets Fred to do a blistering Who-like version of "When the Saints Come
Marching In" I think, with Barney on the "skins".  The best part is Fred's
buddy, the head beatnik talks to Fred backstage and he's really a geek.
Priceless...

And I truly absolutely believe that the Who's "new" record (if it ever comes
to life) will flop like "Ishtar" or "Heaven's Gate".  Critically, it won't
matter - even IF the new record is hailed as the new "Sgt. Pepper" or
"Thriller".  First, as a record company/artist, there's no realistic hope
that the "record buying public" will care in the slightest.  Those who will
buy the new release are going to be people like us - Who freaks, classic
radio listeners, etc...  In other words, the older demographic, not the ones
who plop billions each year on Brittany, Creed, N Sync, et al, will be
buying anything from the Who.  Of course there will be exceptions:  like the
wonderfully brilliant young Who fans on this list, but as a whole, the
buying public that puts artists on the Billboard album charts will have
ABSOLUTELY NOTHING TO DO WITH A BUNCH OF OLD FART, OVER RATED, OVER THE HILL
COOTS LIKE THE WHO.  Sad, however true.  And that's fine.  Let them wallow
in their ignorance.

And I hope it stays that way - if The Who market to the youth, then it will
be a Sell Out and us Who-purists will be leaping from tall buildings and
bridges like so many Depression era stock brokers.  If the Who find
themselves in the top ten of Billboard's album charts then it's ONLY because
they put out a piece of pop trash like Santana did recently.  How many
Grammy's did Santana win?  And who wins Grammys?  Trash wins Grammy's, trash
ends up with the number one single, and trash ends up with the number one
album.  I hope to God I don't see the Who in ANY number one slot - that
would mean that the essence of what we love so much about them will be lost.
I couldn't fathom a Who Sell Out.  Nor could I survive it!

Peace all in Who-ville...

Jim in Colo Springs

"Nevertheless, I'm still amazed at the workings of the human brain.  And
someday, science will figure out why brains are wasted on so many damn
fools."  Mike Royko