Re: New Album- New Day

In a message dated 1/26/02 3:34:07 PM Eastern Standard Time,
kevinandt@surfglobal.net writes:

> The people will *want* it to succeed.
> And it will without their help

Man, I just hope that Pete gets *into* it. He's had the time to sort out the
Who vs.Solo dilema.  I want him to feel proud of the band and get energy from
being  the Who's song writer and guitar player.  I love all of his solo
stuff, but it blurred things in the early 80's. He was dividing his attention
and trying to please too many people (as we all thoroughly know).

Listening to his interview with Scott Muny really got me excited.  He spoke
as a member of The Who back then. He is brilliant. I could listen to him talk
for days.

He has a role, and he comes off best in The band.  Just like Keith was a
great drummer, but without Pete, he was lost.

I have been listening to White City again after reading the script ( and
after Keets sparked my interest with her continuously interesting posts). The
song White City Fighting is superb. How does Pete make every song so
different? This song I believe would have been a great Who song.  Even now,
with different words possibly and with Pete and Roger both singing it could
be a hit.  The general public just wants a catchy tune and a strong beat.
This is the easy part.  Pete is the master at the hard part, making it unique
and timeless .  That will be up to him.

I hear all the same sounding music on the Rock stations.  I know that kids
want something new, and something hip with an image to go along with it and
that the masses are generally thick. (See WWF) This is what they have to
address.

Most of the songs are just complaining about how bad we've got it. Is anybody
coming up with any answers?  Maybe the "fathers" could  give some kind of
covering to this generation.  Again, this is what no one can do like Pete
Townshend. He understands.  What kids today need and even what WE need today
is someone to understand. In my observations in my 37 years I have noticed a
common thread. Everyone has got a problem of some sort.  To merely point out
the problem is of no use. We are impotent.

Kids need to be kept from destroying themselves.  How can there be any help
if there is no communication? How can there be communication if there is no
understanding? I know that there is something to being hip, but that is a
facade.  What kids really want to know is what is going to happen to me? and
does anyone care about me? I caught this vibe in the TKAA 2000 when Pete was
talking TO us from the stage. It brought tears to my eyes because I just
wonder if there is an audience that is REAL enough  and open enough to
recieve this kind of speaking.  Or do we just want to be hip or live a life
of paying the next bill that is due.

Jon in Mi.