Re: New Album- New Day

>I'm not so sure about that.  Any new Who album is going to come out with
>huge expectations and media notice.  The fact that Pete has now stated that
>he (paraphrase) has made a serious commitment to going in the studio with a
>record contract, is being run in all sorts of newspapers.  Washington times
>ran it last week. And I'll bet even if there's just one song that gets a
>charge, it'll be played by classic rock.

The Who needs to make it on *modern* rock stations (or else pop).  I think
you can write off classic rock as a total loss, because they have RULES!!!
I know WHTQ here locally can't play any recording that's less than fifteen
years old.  One of the DJs played Daltrey remake of "Kashmir" a year or so
ago and (apparently) got fired over it--you get the idea the management is
pretty set in their playlist.

>The interest is out there.  The emotional connection is out there.  People
>will be excited about a new album from that classic rock band that played
>that Tommy stuff at Woodstock back in the 60's, and recently "stole the
>show" at the CFNY with emotional jaw dropping performances, giving viewers
>the feeling of when I find myself in times of trouble mother WHO comes to
>me, speaking words of wisdom.......The people will *want* it to succeed.
>And it will without their help.

Let's hope for the modern rock stations then.  LIVE AT LEEDS still sounds
good to kids.  If there's good promotion from a record company
and a playable sound, then likely they'll take a chance on it.

>BTW, were you serious that you thought The Who started to play like
>UnAmerican? Really? I don't think TED hung out and listened to them long
>enough to be influenced.

Why shouldn't The Who do that?  I don't know that it's a matter of
influence.  If Unamerican is representative of the time period, then it's
useful to understand how the music is put together.  Playing in a particular
style is a way to analyze it, and once they've done it, then all the
elements are theirs to use.  In other words, by playing in Unamerican's
style, The Who have basically stolen their sound.

It wasn't for the whole tour, of course.  I caught one show from the first
leg, and then all the others were from the third leg.  No similarities for
the first leg show what-so-ever.  But by the third leg, I thought I could
hear it.  By Manchester it seemed totally gone again.

keets