Re: Who's Better Who's Best video -- BEWARE

>Date: Sun, 20 Jan 2002 12:55:59 -0500
>From: "Scott Schrade" <schrade@akrobiz.com>
>
>> I checked WGFA and it was being played in A#, not A, and shaved
>> about 18 seconds off its running time.
>
>You must have loads of free time.

Perhaps.  But since WGFA is always played to backing tapes of a known
duration it was the best to use for comparison.  Seeing a live performance
of (for example) I Can't Explain that seemed sped up could perhaps be
written off to the guitars being tuned a bit high and the guys just playing
faster.  Not so with WGFA.

>> I returned the tape and checked a  new copy right there in the store
>> and it was exactly the same.
>
>Boy, the clerks at that store must *love* to see you walk in.

Phhtp.  I'm sure I wasn't the first return in their careers, nor their last.

>> If you like your Who sounding just a bit like Alvin and the Chipmunks and
>> hopping around like clowns, you'll love it.
>
>But the tape's not like that.  Why would you lie to us & say it's as bad
>as that
>when it really isn't?

But the tape WAS like that.  Why would you accuse me of lying when you
never saw my tape?  You seem to be taking this way too personally.

>> If you are considering buying WBWB,
>> CHECK it before you pay.  I got my money back on this stinking
>> piece-o'-crap and never looked back.  If a version at the correct speed is
>> available I'd love to know about it, but until then, whoever produced it
>> (I'm sure someone can tell us) should be ashamed of themselves.
>
>I'm sure you're very proud of yourself for discovering the speed-up.

No prouder than you'd be for noticing your own face in a mirror.  It was
that obvious.  And I was quite disappointed, I'd been looking forward to
seeing those clips.

And letting
>us know about it is the right thing to do.  But to grossly exaggerate &
>call the
>tape "unlistenable/unviewable," just because you discovered a speed-up, is
>wrong.

You can tack an "IMO" on the front of that comment if it makes you feel
better. On one of the lists it was mentioned that that's pretty much an
assumed intro to every post that goes beyond a simple statement of fact.

>Your haughty nature leads us to believe that perhaps only *your* super-powers
>were able to discover something that the "masses" have missed.

??? The essence of my post was that the tape I bought back when it first
came out was unacceptably [*****IMO*****] sped up and people might want to
check theirs.  I also posted actual facts as to HOW sped-up it was.  If
that makes me haughty, so be it.  If on your tape WGFA plays in A, not A#,
and lasts something around 8:31 instead of 8:13-8:15, you might educate us
all by posting that fact.  It might mean there are (at least) two editions
of the YBYB tape out.

As I said, if there are correct versions of it out, I'd love to know about it.

I've got 20+
>years of Who collecting/listening under my belt now, so don't insult me
>like that.

But it's OK for you to insult me by calling me "haughty" and a liar.  Got
it.  And I still think you're taking this way too personally.  My copy WAS
sped up, and I couldn't stand it.  If yours is NOT sped up, or if it IS
sped up and it doesn't bother you, God bless you.

>The tape is fine & *does not* sound like Alvin & the Chipmunks.

I said "just a bit", not "exactly".

>Date: Sun, 20 Jan 2002 13:26:57 EST
>From: TJLY99@aol.com
>Subject: Re: Who's Better Who's Best video -- BEWARE
>
>my tape is A+...no sound problems whatsoever......maybe its your video
>machine.....
>tj

Good thought, that's why I tested the second copy in the store on their
player.  Sounded just the same.

Bottom line...I'll happily pay twice the retail price, plus shipping, if
anyone (Schrade included) has a correct-speed original You Better You Bet
tape they'd care to sell me.  Feel free to e-mail me offline.

Cheers,

Alan

"Never never hesitate, communicate, communicate..." --Pete Townshend