Re: interesting thought

>  Everybody else gets a chance to sit out in the audience and
> > experience The Who, but they're busy doing it, so they don't get that
>opportunity.
>
>I know what you're saying here....that The Who don't get the audience
>member's perspective (& sound) of a live show.  But besides the monitors,
>the band probably hears it the same way the people in the first few rows
>hear it.

The audience's perspective is more like it, but I don't mean HEARING the
music.  Of course they do that--as long as the monitors are working okay.
They need to hear each other in order to stay together, and to play, etc.
What I mean is they don't get a chance to LISTEN to it and catch that magic.
  They're busy with the technical stuff, with listening to themselves in the
monitors to make sure it's going okay, busy paying attention and keeping an
eye on Pete to make sure they're with him, and thinking the f**king guitar's
going out of tune again, and is the audience going on a beer run during this
song, and should we cut it short and so on.

You get to see Roger feel the magic fairly often.  Good music will carry
you.  Roger can apparently sing and feel it at the same time,  but it's
unusual to see Pete really listen to The Who music, or to see him feel it,
and I wonder how often he gets a chance.

One instance of this is in the CELEBRATION tape, where Pete has apparently
been in such a snit that he's not actually rehearsed with the orchestra, or
maybe not even heard them play the arrangements.  So he gets out there to
play "Who Are You" and the orchestra starts up behind him, and it's like
he's totally forgotten about the audience.  He just stops playing and
listens.

Another time I notice is the QUAD tape I've seen from San Jose.  Pete is
actually working away at the acoustic guitar the whole time, but he's not
under pressure to do anything, and you can see him watch the show.  Then
when he puts on the electric guitar, he's caught that sort of exaltation
that happened at the end of it.  You can tell he's riding on the music.

I love to see that kind of thing.  :)

keets