Pete and Roger on Keith and Zak

>From an article entitled "And the band played on..."
about Feeder planning to continue after the suicide of
their drummer. Online at:
http://www.thescotsman.co.uk/s2.cfm?id=35032002

[The Rolling Stones'] contemporary icons, The Who,
fared less well. Keith Moon died in 1978 after taking
medication to control his alcoholism. His death still
haunts Roger Daltrey and Townsend. Both feel it is
only now that they are achieving some of the spirit
that was lost by Moons death.

Daltrey, 56, says: "There was a lot for us to go
through to get to this point, not just the death of
Keith but our own personal problems, our own ways of
dealing with each other.

"Kenny Jones, who replaced Moon in 1979, was
wonderful, but he had a different style, and I think
after a while we realised he didnt gel with us."
Ironically, it was the introduction on drums of Zak
Starkey, the son of Ringo Starr, that allowed the
group to turn the corner.

Daltrey adds: "Zak is much more like Keith. He was
raised to play like Keith."

Townsend says: "Keith was brilliant, madcap and his
loss haunted us.

"I thought that rocknroll was a different form of
show business. I thought it clocked something
different about the human spirit and about the
artistic process, and, of course, it didnt."

=====
-Brian in Atlanta
The Who This Month!
http://www.thewhothismonth.com