RE: CousinKevin, New Album, And a whole bunch of other stuff.

> >Unlikely, especially as he's said it <Boy Who Heard Music> will be a solo
>project.
>
>Eh?  I don't recall him saying that.  I do recall him saying Rog suggested
>he not include The Who in it.  Doesn't mean it still won't happen.

Hard to say, but I'll bet Roger wants something more immediate and less
personal.  I thought Pete said last time he mentioned this project that he
was doing that for his autobiography--like all his songs aren't his
autobiography.

>I know you really liked the new songs, or more accurately, the variations
>of old tried and true songs.  I really did too.  But, they weren't
>satisfying to me.  I want all out new (never before heard or never before
>related to previous material) songs and music that will make people take
>note.  Press included.  We need a statement.  Well, ok, we *want* a
>statement.

Eventually you'd figure they would break away and become separate songs.  If
they never did, though, I'm still happy.

>I think his thinking has changed now.  He seems to want to write for The
>Who again.  Or, at least was a bit miffed at Rog asking him not to include
>his new concept.

Heh.  Maybe so.  ;)

>Good point.  I see where you're coming from.  But, I *do* want that drive
>that kicks The "WOW" factor into the fucking atmosphere! I want to stand
>"in the fields" after a song and look around with that confused feeling,
>seeing all the fans look at each other like "woah, what happened, where am
>I??????" *THAT's* The Who for ya.

Right.  We'll look for subtlety later when we get the liner notes out and
pick through the lyrics.

> >Is it possible to go all the way back, and let the band have
> >more input into the process?
>
>Why not?  I say it is.  But, and it's a big BUTT to be sure (I like big
>butts, and I can not lie, you other brothas can't deny), is changing what
>has worked in the past the best thing to do after all this time?  I mean
>given Pete's stated apprehensions, etc. ?

Whatever works, but I'm saying Pete shouldn't get in the same fix as 1979
when he was trying to micro-manage every note on the album and everybody
else was pissed off because of having no input.  John is a hell of a
musician and composer.  Listen to what he adds to Pete's demos.  I get the
feeling Rabbit is quite good, too.

> >>Roger can't sing bitter and sarcastic???  You mean like Dr. Jekle, or
>5:15, or My Way, or WGFA, or Substitute, or MG, or..or..or, or just about
>all Who songs?

Hard to hear bitterness in any of the songs Roger sings for The Who.  I will
have to award the prize to "Bitter and Twisted" though.  Roger CAN do
it--it's just that it's not what we expect from The Who.  Maybe bitterness
somewhere in the show, but The Who always has that uplift at the end.

> > For Roger to express irony or sarcasm would undermine the top level
>meaning of the songs.
>
>Kind of like what Pete said Roger did with Quad????  Didn't Pete say he was
>shocked the first time he heard Rog sing Quad?

That's the non-verbal part that Roger adds, the attitude.

What I mean by the top level meaning is that Roger doesn't try to express
any subtext, the irony and etc.  He tends to sing the lyrics pretty much
straight, which allows us to believe in what he's singing.  Later on you can
look at the lyrics and see that there are other meanings built in, but Roger
carries you when he's singing because he does it with such conviction.

>Mark L., was Quad a good and successful album?

Yes, but from the liner notes, I think everybody was really thankful when it
was over.  ;)

Also, I think WAY was a good and successful album, but definitely at this
point, Pete was getting distant.  You have to really dig through WAY to find
the hidden meanings.  They're much more obvious in TOMMY, but more deeply
layered, too.

>I expect better out of you Keets. ;-)  Ooooo, got Keets on the ropes.  Or,
>is it the 'ol "rope-a-dope" (not to be confused with soap on a rope)?

Hey, can't catch me!  I dance like a butterfly and sting like a bee.
Whoohoo.  ;)

But okay, I'll relent a little here on the spontaneous part.  I put on TOMMY
and listened to it last night, and here's what I think:  Pete likes operatic
concepts because then he has a storyline to follow with his songwriting.
But, regardless of how brilliantly the concept springs to mind, there still
a ton of work that goes into an hour and a half of lyrics.  It can't all be
improvised.

But don't you think his biggest hits have just popped because of some
experience he's had?

>Well ok then!  No worries!  How then is Psycho-D not suited for The Who
>again?

The ending.  ED will never go for it.

keets