Re: Townshend, GWB, The Tories

> certain Pete Townshend addresses the annual CONSERVATIVE
>PARTY CONFERENCE (and at the time a person I personally consider the total
>embodiment of evil was it's leader, Margaret Thatcher) and his message was
>VOTE TORY!

I remember this a little differently; as I recall it PT was at the
Conservative Party Conference talking specifically about the problem of
heroin addiction among young people in Britain. Parts of it were shown on TV
(maybe Newsnight?) and there definitely wasn't any 'Vote Tory' angle in
those sections that were shown. Around the same time he also wrote an
article for the Daily Mail (a right-wing newspaper) on the same topic. I
remember PT being asked about this a year or two later and him saying
something along the lines of 'I know the Tory's are a bunch of bastards but
they're the people in power and I wanted to get the message to as wide an
audience as possible'. I'm pretty sure that right-thinking Who fans can be
reassured that PT never actually supported the Conservatives. But yeah, it
was weird seeing him on the TV talking to a bunch of Tory wankers. But PT
did have a point; we didn't boot 'em out until 1997.
Cheers, Neil