I am so tired of this election whining

In a message dated 01/03/2002 8:55:40 PM Central Standard Time,
TheWho-Digest-Owner@igtc.com writes:

> Andrew:
>
> Oh, I do...and one thing that desperately needs renewing is true DEMOCRACY
> in this country...you know, when the guy who actually wins the majority of
> votes in the majority of states gets to be President, instead of the tired
> old sneaky underhanded backroom deal we saw during the last Presidential
> election, so typical of a certain mindset (conservative) because "they know
> what's best for us all." Despite their obvious inability to go beyond first
> level thinking or understand consequences.

Let's get the facts straight, shall we?  George Bush won many more states and
far more geographic land area- which doesn't matter, of course, but your post
states that gore won a majority of states- not true or even close to true.
if you knew anything about the electoral system, you would know that the
popular vote in our present system is NOT an accurate indicator of who the
true winner is because neither candidate campaigns for a national popular
vote.  Bush spent no money or time in New York, for example, because Gore had
it locked up and Bush would be wasting money and manpower since all the
electoral votes go to the winner.  If the popular vote decided the winner, he
would have campaigned there for as many votes as possible.  the same is true
of gore in texas, even though turnout was exceptionally low in texas because
everyone knew bush had it locked.  100,000 votes in a pool of 70 to 80
million in an election that counts only electoral votes in winner-take-all
state elections is positively meaningless.  also, did anyone notice that in
all subsequent private recounts Bush was found to be the winner?  and for
every "butterfly ballot" vote that pat buchanan got rather than Gore, there
is at least one person in the republican-dominated Florida panhandle, which
is in the central time zone, that either didn't vote or went home when all
the networks were projecting FL for Gore when polls closed in the rest of the
state.  For God's sake- Gore couldn't even win his home state!  Our electoral
system was created to over-represent the states as part of our federal
foundation.  This gets candidates to spend far more time in states with lower
populations.  For example- Connecticutt is alotted 4 electoral votes out of
538, which is .74% of the total.  Connecticutt's population is only .4% of
the nation's population, and with split voting, Connecticutt would only
account for actually .2% of the vote for the winner.  This encourages
candidates to spend at least some time there, whereas they likely ignore
Maine virtually altogether in a popular vote system.  Candidates would spend
much more time and money in large states and large cities where they can
reach more people in less time.  It also stabilizes the system by making it
more likely that one candidate will be a clear winner with a majority of
electoral votes- avoiding the chances of the House of Reps having to decide
the election.  Would that be more DEMOCRATIC??  The popular vote DOES matter-
it's just that the popular vote in each state is what matters- not the whole
nation.  This is part of our federal tradition and works.  Without it, a
national popular vote could create a situation where 2 candidates with a
combined total less than 50% could get into a run-off.  A choice between 2
candidates who a majority of voters didn't want?  Is that DEMOCRATIC??  Just
an education for you from a political science teacher.

Kevin Mc