Re: DST on DVD

> > For anybody who's been looking, it appears that Roger CELEBRATION DVD is
>available for sale again.
>
>Any reviews?  They might have gone by before but I didn't have a DVD
>player then :-)

I'm extremely pleased with mine, even though it does have flaws.  The worst
problem is that the sound is very dead on this.  Brian says the picture
sucks, too, but it doesn't bother me.  It's much better than the bootleg
I've got from TV--the sound is dead there, too, so it has something to do
with the way it was recorded.

This was an extremely expensive show, and apparently Roger paid for it
himself, so we're lucky that he decided to front the costs for a DVD.  It
has elements of The Who (and guests) with the biggest band yet behind them,
aka the Julliard orchestra conducted by Michael Kamen. Of course fans of the
big band Who will enjoy it moreso than fans of the Mod era (for example).
The arrangements are lush and unusual, slightly jazzy, and the orchestra
blasts along with lots of enthusiasm.

Performers/guests include Simon Phillips, Jody Linscott, Rabbit Bundrick,
John Entwistle, Pete Townshend and etc. (see link), even though many were
cut out from the original TV broadcast.  Townshend has a very interesting
reaction to the orchestrations, as apparently he hadn't heard them before
the show.  Entwistle's performance on acoustic bass with the Chieftains is
worth the whole cost of this DVD.

http://us.imdb.com/Title?0144131

Highly recommended.

keets