RE: Tickets / Clear Channel

From: Alan McKendree <amck@thenetdr.com>
"The crucial and always-overlooked point is that there is a SELLING
side to transactions as well as a buying side.  CC couldn't have
bought these companies if the owners hadn't sold."

The other part that is often overlooked is the financing.  I understand that
CC is now swimming in an ocean of debt as a result of these buyouts.

Alan "It's a completely different problem to keep one's holdings and make
successes of them, and *that* can only be done by satisfying one's
customers."

...and paying its debts, and keeping stockholders happy.

Alan:  "More likely, they'll fail in some area or another and create a
profitable area for a competitor to offer a better deal, or simply implode
(cf. the late dot-com bust, 2000 RIP."

I agree with this.  No need to regulate when the market will eventually
break them up, especially in this business.  Entertainment is not a
necessity of life and it does not pose a threat to the environment or
humans.  Therefore, it should not be subjected to tons of regulation.

Alan:  "So don't fret, conspiracy theorists."

That's cute, but a large corporation bent on taking over several segments of
a particular industry IS a conspiracy.  No theory about it.  If it isn't a
conspiracy, what is?

Jeff
PS.  Thanks for jumping in, Alan :-)