Re: Synths and JEB comparisons

At 09:09 22-2-02 -0500, ML wrote:
>Bjorn:
>
>Well, you don't want them to argue talent, songwriting ability or
>performance, do you? JEB is as good as they can be, backing up Entwistle. But
>they are not one of the "big four" (the others being Beatles, Stones and
>Kinks). They're more like, say, the Brian May band. Keeping in mind that
>Queen also is not one of the big four.

I like the Village People too, are they in the big four? :-)
I don't care who's in there or not, I like what I like.

> > Also; their "Sparks" rocked and made die-hard Who fans cry. When The Who
> > played it recently, most didn't even recognize it ("was it played or
> > not???".
>
>I can't help but notice that most of the songs you speak of are Who songs.
>Are you saying they're a really, really good Who cover band?

For now, they do a better job in doing Sparks and the L@L approach then The
Who has been trying to do now (and that probably was a suggestion from
John, since his band has been doing Young Man Blues, Summertime Blues and
L@L jams for a while).
Maybe The Who's take will be better while the tour progresses.

> > No comparison... IMO...
>
>No comparison with what? The Who? Indeed...The Who have no equal.

Neither do the JEB...

> > fan then a Who fan. The Who music doesn't touch me as much anymore, and
> the
> >

>Is that why you mentioned mostly Who songs?

I did not. I only mentioned Sparks.
My favourites are "Too Late the Hero" & "Love is a heart attack".
Further favourites of mine from JAE are "Left for Dead", "When I Was  A
Buy"  and "I feel better".

> > The JEB gigs have an intimacy that is completely lacking at Who shows.
>
>Jeff:
>
>That's like saying "Small bands are better than big bands because they play
>in smaller places." For me, it's all about performance...otherwise I could
>stay home and listen to the CDs. And JAE would be the first to admit they're
>no Who.

It's not only the small places, it's also the enthusiasm they play with.
Even all the roadies are guys who are just in it for the fun. I was talking
to one of them, and he was retired, but just wanted to go back on the road.
Most of the JEB roadies just work for the JEB when they tour. They have a
very good dedication.

> > The JEB plays more as a group...
>
>Bjorn:
>
>Really? To me they play more as a back-up band for one performer.

Really? How many times have you seen them? And who do you watch or listen
to? Even though they are called the JEB, they *are* a band.

>performer, BTW, who has put out three decent albums in 30 years. He's the
>best bass player in the world, but he isn't an ideas man. He needs a
>Townshend song to put him in the right place.

Well, he's no. 1 for me. He's my hero. And I love all his albums. His
latest album "Vanpires" is a masterwork, IMO. Very popular among my Gothic
flatmates.

> > A JEB show is like having sex with someone you really love
>
>I'd say more like having sex with a nice girl with a good personality who's
>the last girl left after everyone else pairs off, and a Who show is like
>having sex with 5 beautiful and eager supermodels who you really love, and
>you're doing the best acid you've ever done plus it's Christmas morning and E
>d McMann just left your house after leaving you a multimillion dollar check,
>non taxable.

To each his vision about their favourite bands. I'd take the nice girl with
a good personality instead of the supermodels...

Bjorn
---