Re: The Who Mailing List Digest V9 #48

Jeff, re

> > PS. Political soapbox for any Brits on this list:  You should be
> > ashamed of the lack of security at Heathrow.  Write your MP.  Raise
> > holy hell. Airport security is nearly nonexistent at that airport:-(

I beg to differ. Security at Heathrow and most other long haul airports
at the UK has long been very, very tight, certainly since the Gulf War
of 1991.

I can assure you that if you thought there was poor security at
Heathrow, for passengers on transatlantic flights, there is very intense
security - a lot of which you wouldn't see or notice.

By contrast, it's hard to imagine, but when we flew to America on 20th
September last year what shocked me when we returned on 4th October was
how awful the security was at Orlando's Sandford Airport, which was way
below the standard we normally see at British airports.

(For one thing, British airports are the only places in Britain where
the police are permanently and visibly armed)

And yet I'm sure Jeff you would be horrified to think that an American
airport, just 26 days after the attacks on NY/pentagon/flight 93 allowed
virtually anything to be carried onto a flight?

But they did at Sandford, I was astonished at the objects I saw people
carrying onto the flight.

John