Re: who at mardi gras

In a message dated 02/09/2002 12:11:25 PM Central Standard Time,
TheWho-Digest-Owner@igtc.com writes:

> Kevin Mc:
>
> Yeah? What happened to Bacchas, Comus and Rex? See, this is why I don't go
> anymore.
>
> Jeez, one thing I loved about the Mardi Gras was all those people drunk and
> little if any violence.
>
> > bout this: the Who featured on an Endymion or Bacchus float during mardi
> > gras.
>
> Extremely doubtful. You get Harry Connick Jr. instead.
>
> Even the Neville Brothers and/or Dr. John wouldn't do it...

Bacchus and Rex are still big.  Bacchus is huge, but Endymion is the far
bigger parade AND party.  Both have huge, elaborate floats- but people stay
out all night friday on the Orleans Ave neutral ground for endymion then
party all day saturday.  By sunday night the party is more subdued, usually.
Endymion is a great parade, tho, and is the only one on the mid-city route-
rather than the uptown route with all the others.  Comus doesn't roll anymore
after a city ordinance that won't give parade permits to clubs which exclude
minorities.  We now have much better parades, rather than the rich, stuck-up,
cheap ass parades where the riders only throw stuff to people they know.
Bacchus and Endymion, and now hary connick,jr's parade, Orpheus- are just
about havin a good time.  Rex is not a very good parade- weak floats and not
much to throw- but it has the history, of course.

Actually, the Neville Brothers have played many parades over the years.  I
was just thinkin that the Who's act fits in perfectly with a mardi gras
parade.  I don't think it'll ever happen- but it would be cool to look down
the street and see that twirling microphone and the windmills.  I think they
would get serious energy from a mardi gras crowd- and endymion has a huge
budget- could pay them well.  They could do a Friday night concert at the new
arena then ride the parade the next day.

side note- two punches last night- both from the same girl.  pretty weak
actually.

kevin mc