Quad Quad

This one goes out to anyone with sound editing experience...

I have recently learned that a friend has a reel-to-reel of a quadrophonic
version of Quadropenia. He said it uses the SQ decoding format, and as
anyone who might recall the days of quadrophonic may remember there were
several competing formats...this is probably the one used by MCA, and the
only version of Quad that's in four channels.
Apparently this mix wasn't widely distributed. And it is originally from an
LP, but was the first play and I have "pop and click" software to clean it
up nicely if needed.
Anyway...he wants to make a CD of it, because the mixdown to stereo is
different than the released version. I suggested that he allow me to sit
down with it and remix it to my own preference, and although I have yet to
hear how the channels are seperated, I'm thinking it's possible to make one
with the band way up front, and the synths and horns in the back, perhaps
even with a touch of reverb to make them sound more "distant." Thus creating
a "live Who" remix.
What I'd like to know is if anyone knows this particular type of
quadrohphonic encoding well enough to give me some tips on how to achieve
this. Or if it's even possible.
In the meantime, I'm also considering a way to record each of the four
channels separately onto a CD, using Cool Edit software (saved as .wav
files, so it should be compatible with any sound editing software)...while
it wouldn't be playable as a song (except one channel at a time, and then on
a computer), this would allow those who have the proper software to remix
their own version. Is this something some of you might be interested in?
Any feedback will be welcome...I am not going to be able to do it right
away, but that gives me time to gather some information. If it all plays
out, this music will ultimately be made available to Who fans in all three
forms (different stereo mix, my "live Who" mix, and four separate channels).
Thanks in advance.

    "They have miscalculated me as a leader."
             George "Mr. Salty" Bush

               Cheers                 ML