RE:Least fave songs / Clear Channel / U2 @ Supebowl / kids

The Magic Bus keeps running (unfortunately).............

Hi Bjorn,

In answer to:

How about the recent live versions? Where the transmogrification takes
place and the bus turns into a train? It certainly builds up to a climax,
goes faster and faster and then stops. That's when the bus turns into a
train and Roger is pulling it with his harmonica. Again it goes faster and
faster until it explodes into nothing (see The Who Live Blues to the Bush
and the RAH DVD).

I'm STILL left completely cold by any version of Magic Bus and although I
was at Shepherds Bush Empire to see our heros I still went for a piss when
they did Magic Bus!  It's just too simple and tedious for me, that's all.
Squeeze Box is another that'll get me wandering around and I think it is
without a doubt the weakest song on an otherwise remarkable record, Who By
Numbers, which IMHO hasn't really received the attention and credit I
believe it deserves, except for Squeeze Box.

For all of you out there lucky enough to get too see The Who in the US /
Canada, don't forget what I wrote last week about Clear Channel / SFX,
beware, OUR choice is being absorbed by "the men in suits!"

U2 @ The Superbowl - well we don't have that here, England, and as far as
I'm personally concerned you can keep the Superbowl AND U2 - who haven't
made a decent record since "The Unforgetable Fire".  As for The Who lowering
themselves to the level of being the "entertainment" within something else I
PRAY TO GOD that such a day NEVER arrives.  I still like to believe that
somewhere within their hearts and their manager(s) hearts such crass
commercial stooping will never take place for The Who.

Kids and The Who - my 15 yo son really rates them, in a way he has to as he
was christened Thomas John Peter because of my obsession with The Who (my,
then, wife just wouldn't allow Roger and Keith as well) and personally I
think two names from the members of the greatest band in the world and the
complete name of their most (in)famous recording isn't bad going.  He was
with me at Watford and loved most of it, he's also seen them at Wembley
Arena on the Quad tour when he reckoned it to be the loudest gig he'd ever
been too, up to that time in his life.  Here in the UK kids are obsessed
with the light weight pop that gets pushed in their faces as it's all sell,
sell, sell. Fortunately my son has very broad tastes but a lot probably has
do with the fact that he's been exposed to music and the music industry all
of his life.  But, that doesn't stop him from liking stuff that I think is
shit.   Music isn't as important to the majority of the kids nowadays
compared with when I was 15.  Today there are choices far to diverse to
satisfy any taste and palet.

Nigel