No Subject

Talking about regeneration

The Who And Guests

by Pierre Perrone
'If we wait for politicians, they ain't gonna do it,
mate!' says Who singer Roger Daltrey (right, with Pete
Townshend). He should know, he's screamed 'Meet the
new boss/Same as the old boss' at the end of 'Won't
Get Fooled Again' often enough. In November 2000, the
Who played a benefit concert for Teenage Cancer Trust
at the Royal Albert Hall and raised enough money to
build two special units.

'It's a way of putting something back,' explains
Daltrey. 'Our industry wouldn't be there if it weren't
for kids.' This week they host an even bigger series
of benefits, which they hope will become an annual
event. 'This time it's five concerts but I'd really
like to get up to seven days and have the young bands
involved as well. That's the way we all become part of
the fabric of society and start to change it.'

Always a real people's band, the Who's influence on
punk, Britpop and grunge was acknowledged when Eddie
Vedder, Paul Weller and Noel Gallagher joined them on
stage during the 2000 concert.

This time, Oasis headline their own show (Wed 6 Feb)
and Weller will be on a bill featuring guitar hero
Gary Moore and Led Zeppelin's Robert Plant and Jimmy
Page (Sat 9 Feb) who, appropriately, played guitar on
'I Can't Explain', the Who's debut single. There
should be plenty of jamming on the closing night. 'If
I have any voice left, I'll go on,' says Daltrey. The
Who (Thur 7 & Fri 8 Feb) still play as though their
'lives depend on it'. And they care.

) Associated Newspapers Ltd., 01 February 2002

=====
-Brian in Atlanta
The Who This Month!
http://www.thewhothismonth.com