Kids

Jon in Mi said:
"So what can be done to help this current generation? They need to be
regulated in their conduct and learn that with rights come responsibilities.
They have to be prepared for their life! However, underneath this as the
foundation, I believe that the greatest and  most powerful weapon that
parents must use is a *genuine heart of love*.  One that *never* gives up.
This will conquer them eventually. This has to be the motivating factor in
all that we do relating to them.  They are facing a much more difficult
world than we faced. If they don't get this from us, they will be closed to
us and the benefit or our experience."

Jon,
Bravo.

You sound like a man who knows a thing or two about raising decent kids.  I
saw some of this in the 2000 "Secret Lifhouse" tour.  Lifehouse (to me)
begins in a society where people are isolated from each other.  Social,
technological and political events separate them from each other, much the
way parents get disconnected from their kids these days.  In Lifehouse, the
connection (intimacy) is made on a human level by the reintroduction of live
rock music.

The crux of the TKAA2K rap was a longing to connect with one's children.  To
break through the barriers to expressing love and engaging our progeny in
two way communication.  Learning to enjoy each other's company is a key to a
constructive parent-child relationship.  It is this relationship that is the
basis of human society.

We can blame our disappointment with youngsters on lousy schools, lousy
music, lousy movies, lousy video games, and lousy public policy but all that
is white noise.  When you want to get at what makes a difference in kid's
lives, it is love.  Jon nailed that perfectly.

BTW, I understand Pete's son (and some buddies) were spotted in the crowd at
Portsmouth.  Does anyone think Pete's relatively newfound desire to perform
with The Who has anything to do with his desire to connect with his son?
Doesn't every father want to be the coolest Dad in his son's eyes?  What
could appear cooler to your son than being Pete in all his Who glory?  I'll
bet he'll be travelling with Dad on his trip to America this summer.

Jeff