Re: Who reference in "Sum of All Fears"

Alan

> > Actually Alan, the character in the film is a Neo-Nazi, which is set
> > in current day US. Haven't you seen it, or read the Tom Clancy novel
> > it's based on?
>
>   <long pause> Oh.  Never mind. :-) I seem to have exposed my complete
>   ignorance of Mr. Clancy's oeuvre.

No problem. If you saw the film Hunt for Red October starring Sean
Connery you have seen the best film version of one of the best Tom
Clancy books.

> > NEO-Nazis, you say...hm, yes...hmmmm...well, that's very different.
> >
> > OK, I gotta say I too am not too happy either about Pete being
> > quoted by Neo-Nazis as a "great poet".

If it's any consolation, Tom Clancy didn't write the line in the book.
I can't get too exercised about the use of the phrase in the film by
characters who are neo nazi's, they were after all characters. The film
suffered a significant rewrite from the book, viz.

The book's central plot is an islamic terror group obtains a nuclear
weapon and destroys Denver, creating panic in a weak president and his
weaker advisors who believe the russians have have attacked, until the
hero saves the day.

The film script has neo nazis obtain a nuclear weapon and destroy
Baltimore, almost killing the president who is so pissed he tries to
destroy the russians who his weak advisors believe are the villains
until the hero saves the day.

With me so far?

Tom's books are extraordinarily long, packed with technical detail of
military/espionage procedures and hardware, not especially well drawn
characters and people, incredibly plotted with a military/espionage/law
enforcement bent.

His descriptions though of matters military and police procedure are
detailed and often very absorbing, but he does suffer sometimes from
dire characterisation. (See Patriot Games for some awfully leaden
characterisation of British people and Charles & Diana)

I like just about all his books, especially Hunt for Red October, Red
storm Rising and Clear and Present danger. The sum of all fears is
probably the best of the rest.

And Harrison Ford played Tom Clancy's recurring hero Jack Ryan in films
of Clear and Present Danger and Patriot Games.

Cheers,

John