[no subject]

Eh, the Who?... the what?
By DOMINIC MOHAN

ROCK legend Pete Townshend is so deaf he cannot even
hear his own PHONE.

The Who guitarists hearing deteriorated after the
bands gruelling US tour this year.

Pals fear it spells the end of his concert days.

The hearing in his right ear has nearly disappeared.
And he has limited use of his left ear.

A source on the tour said: Put it this way, hes
getting good at lip-reading.

Townshend, 57, has suffered from ringing in the ears
for decades  and advanced damage was first diagnosed
in 1982.

He cut back on live shows after being warned he could
be deaf by 40. Townshend, who earned #10million last
year, said: The recent return to touring and to me
playing electric guitar  albeit more quietly than in
the 70s  led to further deterioration of my hearing.

My right ear, which encounters my own edgy guitar and
the machine gun strokes of the drums, has suffered
badly. Ive no idea what I can do about this.

I am unable to perform with in-ear monitors  in fact
they increase the often unbearable tinnitus I suffer
after shows.

Townshend DOES want to return to the studio to make a
new album with Roger Daltrey, 58.

They put together the Whos lucrative US tour. Both
were left shattered when bassist John Entwistle, 57,
who also had severe hearing problems, died on the eve
of the first gig.

Townshends plight comes weeks after singer Phil
Collins, 51, revealed he is going deaf and can only
manage the odd concert.

=====
-Brian in Atlanta
The Who This Month!