Re: Who influenced New Wave blah blah blah

> ....and you can easily hear the Bowie there. Unless you're Scott.

D'oh!  ;-o

> Uh, that would be Pete being NW...not NW being Pete.

I agree here.  Pete got influenced by New Wave.  But let's not forget
Pete's use of synth in the early 70's.  While not exactly New Wave-
sounding, it still showed that electronics could be woven into Rock
music.

And actually, another New Wave pioneer was Akron's own DEVO.  They
actually started making their brand of music in the *early* 70's.
Many people don't know that.

> He went through a New Romantic phase...I try to forget.

What's wrong with the New Romantics?  Did they frighten you?

> Spandex Ballet? Yesh!

It's *Spandau* Ballet.  "Work till you're muscle bound all night long..."

> I never said those. You shouldn't associate me with people who have.

I never said you did.  They were examples of other "misconceptions" that
I hear from time to time.

> Oh? There's not a bit of "dance" in Trance, for instance.

Semantics.  I don't consider Trance Techno.  Trance is Trance, & Techno is
Techno.  Acid Jazz is Acid Jazz.

> > I hate that T. Rex bullshit.
> Makes sense, since you don't like Bowie.

I don't like Iggy Pop, either.

> > Buddy Holly & the Crickets were the originators of the "rock band."
> So you agree with Paul McCartney. I see...

Yes, in this case, I do.

> That whole heavy guitar driven thing.

Heavy, driving guitar = The Who?  C'mon.  Where does Hendrix fit in to
your "influence theories?"

> CRASH, BANG! That's a Who trademark, man!

CRASH, BANG is a Who trademark?!  Two notes?  The Who invented *that?*
*That's* your evidence of influence?  Weak.  Very weak.

> A lot of Who songs are bass and vulgar. And you know it.

Perhaps vulgar but *never* base.  They may get crude on occasion but
it's an intelligent crudeness (!), not your run-of-the-mill Cock Rock
(which is what Zeppelin is).

> I am probably the ONLY SC Who fan.

Do you ever feel like a soldier in enemy territory?

> Listen to some Bartok sometime.

Bartok?  Wasn't he in Star Wars?

> Page is an arrogant SOB who wouldn't admit he was influenced by Pete
> if it killed him.

Did I tell you I saw him play live twice with The Firm? (!)  He was
great, I'll give you that.  Nice, sloppy, expressive soloing.

> Maybe you're BOTH crazy!

We are!  But not in this case.

> There's a definite Who thing going in The Jam,

I don't hear it.

> and Paul Weller would be the FIRST to admit it! And he wrote most
> of the songs.

I don't doubt that Paul Weller was/is a Who fan.  And maybe The Who in-
spired him to get into music but as far as *hearing the Who sound* in
The Jam's music....I just don't.  Sounds like most of the other Pop-Punk
that was circulating at that time.

> PJ's not over yet.

They've gone quite limp, though.

> Thereby we see how much weight your opinion of the new album should get.

Exactly!  I can talk out of my ass like the best of them!  ;-)

> > If The Who hadn't done it, some other band would have.
> Prove it.

How?  By altering the past?  My time machine's in the shop!

> I can prove The Who were first.

I never said they weren't!  Your "proof" means nothing.

> You are just speculating that someone else might have done it.

NSS (No shit, Sherlock).  So you're saying that if The Who hadn't gone
to the Marshall stack we'd be without it even today?  That's absurd.

> If Pete hadn't used feedback and The Who opened for The Beatles,
> John Lennon wouldn't have recorded I Feel Fine with its feedback
> opening four months later!

Prove it.  ;-o

> Every single song on Ten had just as much relevence TO ME as any
> Who song ever did.

How old are you?  Seventeen?  Pearl Jam was/is kiddy music.  And how
can you stand to listen to Eddie Vedder's obnoxious, ego-driven, over-
the-top singing?  Blech.

> I've lived through it all, well OK except Jeremy.

Didn't bite any recess lady's breast, huh?  Oh, & the end of that song
where Vedder does those "wooo-wooo's."  How corny.  Great, now I've got
that song stuck in my head.  Thanks, Mark.

> > Chaotic?  That band is as safe & gentle as kids playing in a sand box.
> So is The Who, after Quad. Make a point.

Yeah, "Who Are You" is real gentle & safe.  You're wrong again, I'm afraid.

> Yeah, you guys have facilities to handle this stuff. We don't. Nary a
> snow plow or salt truck within 300 miles.

Snow plows & salt trucks can't do a thing for me frozen bum!

- SCHRADE in Akron