[no subject]

Keith Moon drums stolen
by Linda Harrison

A rock band's drummer is trying to track down his
stolen kit, which was once owned by late legend Keith
Moon of The Who.

Jay Sturland, 30, who wields the sticks for
Eastbourne-based band Namaqua, is heartbroken after
the historic gold-coloured set was pinched from his
car.

The Hayman toms, wooden kick drum and cymbals were
stored in cases bearing the wild man drummer's
initials, KM.

Thieves broke into Jay's Ford Fiesta, parked outside
his flat in St John Road, Eastbourne, and took the
lot.

He said there was no substitute for his prized gear,
saying: "It is a piece of my soul. I just can't
believe it."

The kit was custom-built for Moon, who played on
classic tracks such as My Generation, Pinball Wizard
and I Can't Explain.

Jay bought the drums for #210 at the age of 15 from a
friend who had links with the music industry.

Although the gear had taken a beating from one of the
most notorious sticksmen in the history of rock, he
reckons it is now worth thousands of pounds.

He said: "I left the drums overnight outside my home
after having gone to a band practice on Sunday night.

"They were covered up but thieves stole the lot, even
the coverings."

Jay and his wife Clare, 23, had only just returned
from their honeymoon in Kenya.

He said: "Drumming is my whole life and I can't tell
you how much this kit means to me. I feel like I've
had my arms and legs taken off. For me it's
everything, second only to my wife."

Moon was infamous in the Sixties and Seventies as much
for his off-stage antics as his unique style of
drumming.

In true rock star fashion he trashed hotel rooms,
drove his Rolls-Royces into swimming pools and even
dressed as Hitler while on tour in Germany.

He died from an accidental overdose of anti-alcohol
drugs in September 1978.

The Who attained cult status with the release of their
album Quadrophenia, later turned into a film shot
extensively in Brighton.

Anyone one with information about the theft is asked
to call Eastbourne police on 0845 6070999 or
Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555111.

=====
-Brian in Atlanta
The Who This Month!
http://www.thewhothismonth.com