Re: fish and chips

> English sailors carried limes on their ships to prevent the disease Scurvy,
> which is caused by a Vitamin C deficiency,

Actually, H.L. Mencken's book "American English" states that the slang
term refers to the fact that "beginning in 1795, *lime-juice* was issued in
the British Navy....as an anti-scorbutic."

However, I couldn't find "scorbutic" or "anti-scorbutic" in my dictionary.
Oh that Mencken!

So they didn't suck on actual limes.  They drank a lime-juice.

- SCHRADE in Akron