[no subject]

The Who proves 'the kids are alright' after bassist's
death
By GARY GRAFF, Of The Oakland Press August 24, 2002

"Every time we come out, there's a few less of us,"
Pete Townshend of The Who cracked early in the
venerable British rock band's concert Friday night at
The Palace of Auburn Hills.

He was alluding, of course, to the late June death of
bassist John Entwistle on the eve of The Who's North
American tour. And if there remains some surprise that
Townshend and vocalist Roger Daltrey decided to go
ahead with the jaunt, the duo spent two hours and 20
minutes Friday making a convincing case that there's
still every reason for them to go out and play their
nearly four decades of landmark rock 'n' roll.

Kicking off the third leg of the tour with fiery
renditions of "I Can't Explain" and "Substitute,"
Daltrey and Townshend were clearly playing for keeps,
the former twirling his microphone like a lariat and
Townshend slashing his guitar with windmill arm
strokes.

Extended versions of "Anyway Anyhow Anywhere" and "The
Relay" proved that this incarnation of The Who - with
Townshend's brother Simon on vocals and guitar and
Ringo Starr's son Zak Starkey channeling the late
Keith Moon's drum trademarks - has abundant chops for
jamming.

And "Who Are You" remained a performance powerhouse -
and, in this particular scenario, a statement of
purpose from Daltrey and Townshend to their audience.

Indeed, Townshend seemed well aware that the crowds
could have decided The Who was over with Entwistle's
death.

"We're really happy to see all you guys come out," he
told the sold-out Palace. "It's really special for . .
. Roger and I to come out on this tour. We're really,
really grateful . . ."

The gratitude showed not only in the caliber of the
performance, but also in the hits-heavy song
selection. Relative concert rarities such as "Another
Tricky Day" and "Bargain" joined established favorites
like "Behind Blue Eyes," "You Better You Bet," "My
Generation" - with bassist Pino Palladino recreating
Entwistle's famous licks - and the epic "Won't Get
Fooled Again." The Who also presented mini-sets from
its rock operas "Tommy" and "Quadrophenia," and, when
all was said and done, it seemed as if the kids were
truly alright.

The same could be said for former Led Zeppelin
frontman Robert Plant, who "opened" Friday's show with
a 65-minute set that drew on a variety of creative
sources ranging from the Delta blues to American
western whilst not forgetting what the fans wanted to
hear.

But he delivered Led Zeppelin's "Celebration Day" with
more of a boogie rhythm and gave a bit more accent to
the Eastern flavors of "Four Sticks."

The crowd got its "Whole Lotta Love," too, but
initially in a rural blues style before Plant and his
band charged into the crunchy arrangement familiar ad
nauseum from plays on the radio.

The Who's performance Friday is available for fans to
purchase online at www.themusic.com. The two-CD
soundboard recording costs about $25, with proceeds
going to youth charities designated by the band.

=====
-Brian in Atlanta
The Who This Month!
http://www.thewhothismonth.com