[no subject]

Bandmate keeps faith in Moon film
By Thor Christensen
The Dallas Morning News
August 25, 2002

You can argue all you want whether the Who's Keith
Moon was rock's greatest drummer or its sloppiest --
or both. But there's no debating that he was one of
the most colorful men to ever whack a high-hat.

Moon's bizarre sense of humor and outlandish behavior
(like driving cars into hotel swimming pools)
attracted as much attention as his brash,
unpredictable drum work. He went through life like
some comic movie character before dying in 1978 from a
drug overdose at age 31.

Who lead vocalist Roger Daltrey says he has been
working on a film about Moon for 10 years.

Why hasn't a film been made before about the legendary
"Moon the Loon"?

"It's incredibly difficult to get good scripts," says
Daltrey. "I keep dumping scripts one after another,
and I'll keep doing that until I get one that really
reflects the man that I knew and loved, one that
reflects both his genius and his failings."

Daltrey is currently on a three-month American tour
with the group's only other surviving member, Pete
Townshend. The tour began July 1, five days after
bassist John Entwistle, 57, died of an apparent heart
attack.

Founded in London in the early 1960s, the Who became
one of the premier rock bands in the world throughout
the 1970s. Their guitar-driven hits included "My
Generation," "I Can See For Miles," "I Can't Explain,"
"Substitute," "Pinball Wizard," "Won't Get Fooled
Again" and "Who Are You."

The Who played at the first Woodstock and made 1969's
groundbreaking rock opera, "Tommy," about a deaf, dumb
and blind messiah. The band retired in 1982 but
reunited and toured frequently. They were inducted
into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in 1990.

If Daltrey gets his way, the Moon movie will have a
feel similar to Alex Cox's dark and moving "Sid &
Nancy," which the singer calls "the only really good
rock film ever made."

"If you tell people, 'We're making Keith Moon into a
movie,' they're like 'Oh, that'll be great -- it'll be
really funny.' But it can't just be a funny story, and
what's lacking in all the scripts I've read is depth
of character.

"He was one of the most enormous human beings I've
ever met in my life in every sense of the word. He was
the most generous, the most funny, and also sometimes
the most cynical, depressed person. He was a man of
complete opposites -- and in extraordinary amounts. .
. . Moon was a roller coaster."

=====
-Brian in Atlanta
The Who This Month!