Re: Geezer Who fan review of Auburn Hills

GLoduca@aol.com wrote:

> The first time I saw The Who was 1967 in a high school gym.  I have seen them
> numerous times since and I saw them again last night.  12th row left center.

So, your saying you saw them with Keith? That alone qualifies you to say anything
the fuck you wanna say! Imho.

> Based on my own experiences I don't ever recall seeing Pete a happy camper on
> stage.  Yes, every now and again he will crack a smile, but outright happy
> nope.  The music and the show come first.  He treats it like a profession.

That's cause Pete's nutz! Very good song writer & performer, but quite insane!
Maybe that's why we all connect to the whole thing!

Most people will argue many points about the Who, but I myself was always a
victim of the following:

Once they come out on stage and do what they did, I was finished! Never seen
anything like it and most likely never will! In fact, there's only one place in
the whole world you can get Who Juice. And that's at a show. Thank God, I will be
with them in 6 days. You have no idea, how much I need the Juice!!!

> One that he happens to be very good at doing.  Last night was no exception.
> This is not a guy who expresses happiness as a rule.  He is one serious dude
> that would probably be closer to depressive than downright giddy.  I am no
> expert and I am no shrink, it's just my worthless opinion.

No, Pete's good at what he does, but he also has lotsa baggage.

> During the Quad tour I remember him scolding Gary Glitter for getting too
> chummy with the audience and throwing the show behind schedule.  Pete held
> out his watch and started banging on the face.  This is a business and we are
> on a schedule.  That's the same attitude I think he takes into most shows.

Pete hates when the audience looks at anyone but him!

> I do not want to sound like I am contradicting the other reviewer who thought
> Pete looked bored.  I can understand his point of view, however, I interpret
> Pete's mood differently.

It's his schtick (did I spell that right?)

> There is no better showman with a guitar in hand.  Last night he proved it
> again.  During WAY, he attacked the guitar, it turned into a lethal weapon.
> You folks all know the songs that were written with windmills in mind.  Last
> night he hit everyone of them.  No not flawlessly but good enough.  At one
> point he even did 7 or 8 in a row then looked at Roger and yelled out the
> exact number to him.  Looked rather proud of it if you ask me.  I thought I
> saw a smile.

Yes, if it's not on his face, he's always smilin' inside!

> I know I saw a smile at the end of a number of songs that brought the house
> down and the crowd was as loud as I have ever heard one.  Arrogance,
> definitely, does he act like a man that goes sailing on his yacht in the
> South of France, definitely.  But as far as I am concerned he has earned his
> arrogance and his yacht.

As much as anyone else!

> In my own small opinion nobody has written more meaningful songs in rock and
> roll.  Nobody puts more into their music than this man has over a career.  As
> much maybe, but not more.

He's had a great run and no one can ever take that away from what he's done.

> Has anybody written more emotional or thoughtful rock and roll music than
> Tommy or Quad?  How about bash your brains out music that actually sounds
> good?  I don't think it's possible to play the beginning of WGFA too loudly.
> I'm more afraid of the speakers blowing than having ever thought it sounded
> too loud.  I'd be arrogant too if I had written PT's catalog.

Not as far as I'm concerned.

> The old Who were combustible at any given moment.  They were actually
> dangerous.  You never knew when someone or something could explode.  This
> version is much more toned down, the combustibility is gone but they still
> put their hearts and souls into the music.  Peter may look bored but I don't
> think there is anything he would rather be doing then performing in front of
> 20,000 screaming Who fans like he did last night.

You are correct on that point. Where else can you get the feedback, but from the
stage?

> Pete's stage persona was always one of being "on the muscle".  It's his
> stage. Just ask Abbie Hoffman.  Now it's one of being in total control to the
> point of almost automatic pilot.  It can at times appear as boredom, but in
> my mind he looks like a guy that has the world by the balls and doesn't care
> who knows it.  The guy has been doing the same thing for over 35 years what
> can you expect. I wish I was that bored.

You never really know what to expect from Pete. Roger on the other hand, takes on
the character of each song & sings it like it the first time it's ever been
played.

Long Live Rock, I need every night,

magik