great point about entwistle

 ------------------------------
Date: Wed, 21 Aug 2002 03:46:11 -0700 (PDT)
 From: "Neil E. Weissman" <neilweissman@yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: great point about entwistle

One point, they did not spend the last 40 years together playing.

 --- Sroundtable@aol.com wrote:
In a message dated 8/20/2002 12:55:47 PM Central Daylight Time,
TheWho-Digest-Owner@igtc.com writes:

"Curiously, less than a week before John's death, Darryl Kile, the St. Louis
Cardinals pitcher, died of a heart attack in a Chicago hotel (an  80-to-90
percent blockage in his arteries was found to be the cause).  The Cardinals,
who learned of Kile's death less than two hours before a game with the
Chicago Cubs, had the game postponed, and played the very next day.  I don't
recall any criticism of the Cardinals for playing less than 36 hours
after learning that a beloved teammate had unexpectently died.  No one said
that the St. Louis Cardinals should no longer play baseball, because Darryl
Kile died. "

> > This is a brilliant comparison.  The games were scheduled just as the
concerts were, and many people would stand to lose a great deal with
> > their cancellation.
> >
> > mc
> HotJobs - Search Thousands of New Jobs
> http://www.hotjobs.com
------------------------------
Which is why Neil, the next portion of what I had originally wrote
concerning Darryl Kile and the St. Louis Cardinals returning to play
baseball the day after his death read as follows:

"I realize that while Darryl Kile was a fine pitcher, he was not as
important to the Cardinals as John Entwistle was to The Who.  But does that
change how his teammates felt about Darryl Kile?  Did they pack up, or did
they decide to soldier on as best they could?  In fact, commentary on how
the Cardinals handled Darryl Kile's death was uniformly positive.

If you don't care for that analogy, I'll give you one closer to my home.  In
January, I started a new job.  The company I now work for had two of its
employees, including the #2 man killed in the World Trade Center, where we
had an office.  That may not sound like a large number, compared to some
companies that lost hundreds of employees.  But that is two out of a total
of twenty-five who were employed there on September 11, 2001.  My company is
still trying to recover physically and emotionally from that disaster.  My
current co-workers were back to work the next day trying to pick up the
pieces.  No one suggested the company go out of business because of what
happened.  They picked up, and moved on, as best they could, the same that
Pete and Roger are doing."

BW Radley
bwradley@earthlink.net