Derelict Guitar Hero (wow this is longer than I wanted to answer)

Toby said  "After the HarborLights, Pre-Woodstock show I was talking with
his harmonica
player, keyboardist, and bassist about his playing and they shared that Pete
did not want to practice with charted songs but let the band develop each
song on stage..."

Toby,
This is great to hear.  This show was quite an experience for me.  It REALLY
kicked my reconnection with Pete and The Who.  I guess this explains why
they had music stands in front of them and why the show was so very, very
loose.

"The recent 5 years with The Who seems boring and when I mean playing out
the string I mean going through the motion of being in The Who."

I'll agree that Pete's writing has been a bit thin the last five years, but
I strongly disagree with your take on his playing.  He has been struggling
to noodle enough to make it interesting, while still staying within the
confines of The Who "legacy" of pop.  By this, I mean that there is a need
to keep to the formula enough to make the average punter keep coming back,
but he's also trying to make it musically interesting for his own pleasure.

What shows have you seen or heard this year?

I hesitate to say which ones I've seen/heard, because that might be
considered flaunting.  Besides, I wouldn't want to get into a contest to see
who has been to the most shows.  You know The Coach would NEED to compete
for that title ;-)

I think that Pete's playing this year has been energetic and varied.  He has
told us (and I think his stage personna bears this out) that he is finding
these shows artistically satisfying.

BTW, most of your guitar heroes are mine as well.

Jeff