Fwd: The Who and Spinal Tap

Here is my response, sent to this "organization."
From: Sroundtable@aol.com
Full-name: Sroundtable
Date: Mon, 19 Aug 2002 01:13:34 EDT
Subject: The Who and Spinal Tap
To: letters@nationalpost.com

This is possibly the most ignorant, amateurish editorial I have ever read.
If your writer had done any research, he/she would know that despite the fact
that the tour the Who did in 2000 was due in large part to some financial
problems John Entwistle and Roger Daltrey were having, the band has never
cheated its live audience.  Has the writer ever seen the Who live?  The truth
is that the show this band puts on can not be touched by even modern rock
bands less than half their age.  Check the prices of tickets to see the
Eagles or the Stones, both less than the Who, on average.  When the Who
called it quits in 1982, they meant it at the time.  The fact that they
decided to re-unite for several tours beginning 1989 does not tarnish their
name or detract from their credibility.  Why do music critics begrudge bands
for wanting to make a living?  The Who could have made their concerts less
expensive to put on during their prime, and they could have bolted England
for a country with a less punitive tax code, but they didn't.  Compared to
other bands of their era, they made very little money.  Why now do we ask
them to apologize for bringing us amazing live concerts at market prices?
The truth is that Roger and Pete would not have suffered if the tour had been
cancelled, but a concert tour is about much more than just those in the band.
 Many people's livelihoods depended on this tour, and the sponsors stood to
take major losses if it had been cancelled.  And what about the fans who have
been able to enjoy the concerts and have used the inspired performances to
help the grieving process after John Entwistle's death?  To compare the Who
to Spinal Tap as a parody of themselves could only come from a person who has
not seen the Who on this tour.  Your website should keep such shoddy
journalism away from readers.

kevin McCabe