Re: Spinal Tap and Who Bashing

> I have written emails to this group stating clearly that I do not
know the Who, am not a member of the band, or have any direct dealings.
 I clearly separate fandom from direct involvement.  Thus, I do not
know what is right, and I do not make that decision.  But, I was there
and I know the facts.  I did not like the way the days after John
Entwistle's death unfolded.  That is my opinion and I will stick with
it.  I never said I felt they should shrivel up and go away.  In the
end I am glad they decided to continue to play; I just would have done
it differently.

It would probably have been helpful if they'd had someone there who
wasn't directly involved.  My guess is that they weren't in any
condition to handle anything.  They took care of what had to be done,
and that was the best they could do.

That being the case, there were many thing they did which were right.
Pete initial comments and Roger's statement were very emotional and
right on target.  The decision to continue the tour is now clearly the
best thing to have done.  They consulted with John's family.  They kept
their mourning and the arrangements tasteful and private.  They stayed
out of the cocaine induced tabloid mess.  They involved the fans in a
wonderful tribute that also allowed them to mourn and to come to grips
with John's death and what it means for the music.

It was unfortunate that a number of fans and media reporters seemed to
form poor opinions in the first few days because there were no press
releases to head them off.  Roger's statement and Matt's postings
aren't immediately accessible on the website, and it seems most of the
press has missed them entirely.  There was much fallout because there
was no initial announcement about the funeral date and arrangements.
There was similar fallout at the quick substitution of Pino.

This is definitely a case where the band could have used a sharp
spin-control publicist.  But since they don't have one of those, I
think they did well to just carry on and as Pete says, work thing out
the best way they could.  They've tried to make the best decisions
possible for everyone involved. They've let the music speak for them
and stayed true to themselves.  In the end, that should be what
protects them from public opinion.  No one can ask for any more.

LB

=====
God bless the thunder.  Love to The Who.
HotJobs - Search Thousands of New Jobs
http://www.hotjobs.com