Re: where's pete?

> Why Pete Townshend is so underated? I simply don't
> understand. OK, his fingers velocity on soloing isn't
> very well, but his global approach in terms of chords
> succession combined with rapid solos is very unique
> and original -  it is the core of Who's sound and one
> of the reasons why is so difficult emulate that style,
> i.e, our beloved Maximum R&B style.
> But, as people say, life goes on.

Bad finger velocity on solos?  Have you seen a show this summer?  His fingers
seem to be moving just fine to me.  Hell, just watch his solos from ICE at
Albert Hall 2000, and that was the opener.  To answer your question, I think
he is so underrated because his songwriting overshadows it.  People give
Townshend all sorts of credit for Tommy and Who's Next and how revolutionary
it was, but they forget what an amazing guitarist he is.  In fact, I'd have
to say that ALL things considered, Pete is the most talented rock musician of
all time.  Combine his technical skill on a number of instruments (piano,
guitar, bass, banjo, etc) with his on stage action with his songwriting and
his beautiful voice, who could possibly be more talented.  He has it all.

mc

"Just fucking listen and shut up!"- Pete Townshend live in Long Beach 1971