Re: ny times review

On Tue, 6 Aug 2002 16:32:31 -0700 (PDT), you wrote:

>> > Decent review, but what is with calling everyone
>"mister" over and over again throughout the article.
>Very annoying and repetitious.  The NY Times should be
>publishing better, or someone should have told this
>writer that the technique, for whatever he was going
>for, didn't work.
>>
>> That's the style they've always used--where have you
>been?
>>

>I live in New Orleans and don't read the NY times.
>The fact that they've always used that style, however,
>doesn't make it any less annoying.  Repetition is
>something for which English professors deduct points.>
>
>I like the style.  It's old-fashioned politeness, like
>how people in the South generally call every Sir or
>Ma'am.

That's nice, but when the Times refers to Osama bin Laden as "Mr. bin
Laden," I think that's a bit much. Maybe I'm just an uncouth Noo
Yawker, but I find that to be ridiculous -- and yet, at the same time,
so typical of the Times.

And if you think I'm making it up,
http://www.nytimes.com/2002/07/31/international/31PRIS.html

Leslie

--
R.I.P. John Entwistle (10/9/44 - 6/27/02) We'll never forget

"Every one of the innocents who died on Sept. 11 was the most important person on earth to somebody.
Every death extinguished a world." -- President George W. Bush, 12/11/2001

www.hillary-watch.org