Re: Pino Yawnadino

> Why are so few here willing to speak the truth about Pino?

I'd be the first to complain if he was doing a bad job but the truth is....
he isn't.  Actually he's doing a much better job than I thought he'd
do.

Sure, there's no impromptu fluidity to his playing, but he's not fucking
the songs up either.  The cascading riffs in WGFA are there.  The
tender bass melodies in "Sea & Sand" are there, too.

Pino holds the bottom end down & doesn't get in the way.  What more
could you want.

> He's not right for the job. It's not just his ridiculous lack of volume
> (ironically violating the sole request publicly made to him by Pete), it's
> his style, which is exactly the kind of style that the Ox started laying to
> waste in 1964.

He was plenty loud in Camden & Hershey.  Actually louder than Ent-
wistle was in 2000.

> Like Simon, he doesn't get in the way, but The Who's bottom demands
> much more than that. Jack Bruce, Yossi Fine, Muzz Skillings, Bootsy Collins,
> or Doug Wimbish would be much better choices (not to mention Tony Butler
> or Chuchu Merchan if it has to be someone "in house").

No, you're wrong.  That's a knee-jerk reaction to think that The Who
needs someone more busy or flamboyant on bass to complete their
sound.  I love Jack Bruce but I could see him fucking the hell up out of
the songs trying to incorporate some fancy riffing.

No, they made the right choice with Pino.

And while I'm at it, let me eat my words & say that Simon is *not* in-
trusive on stage.  He *does* benefit the backing vocals.  He *does not*
hamper Pete's guitar playing.  He helps fill-out the sound & is not "in
the way" at all.

- SCHRADE in Akron