quick ranking of the shows I've seen on this tour

Of the 6 amazing concerts I have seen so far, here's how they stack up:

1. Shoreline Amphitheatre, July 3- everyone standing, sound was awesome, Pete
was out of his mind good and Roger was sharp, on key, and sang with amazing
passion and emotion.  Pete tore off 4 consecutive pogo leaps at the end of MG.

2. MSG, Aug 1- Don't know what more to say.  Great all around, especially
Roger's voice.  Pete was upbeat and talkative, and a few little mess-ups
added to the specialness of the night.

3. Gorge, WA, july 6- After a workmanlike beginning, the show really took off
w/the Quad songs and finished VERY strong.  Guitar smash at end of WGFA was
history in the making.

4. Hollywood Bowl, July 1- unfortunately, acoustics here probably influenced
my assessment.  Great show, tho.  Pete came out firing and never let up.
First show ever w/o john, so the "weirdness" of the moment might also have
affected my opinion.

5. MSG, July 31- had a great time, but alas was too drunk to remember most of
it the next day.  I heard it was great, though.

6. Autowest/Sacramento Valley, July 4- Excellent show, but following
Shoreline it was probably very difficult to summon the same effort.  Jams
were a bit shorter and Roger struggled at certain points with his voice.  Was
12th row center for this one, which was really nice.  Pete flippe off the
crowd with both hands before the opening chord, just after saying, "So you're
free are you?"  He then said, "We want you back."  Flipped us off one other
time.  Funny stuff.

Next stop: Dallas, TX- Sept 21

mc

"Just fucking listen and shut up!"- Pete Townshend live in Long Beach 1971