Re: less than great shows this tour

In a message dated 08/02/2002 11:18:44 PM Central Daylight Time,
TheWho-Digest-Owner@igtc.com writes:

> Some performances, as Kevin cites for instance, were less than great. And
> this is where their legacy will be left. They won't be remembered for the
> great shows of this tour...but the least of them. They won't be remembered
> for going on through adversity...but instead the "disregard" for a 40 year
> partner.

I respecfully disagree, Mark.  Nearly every review of the shows on this tour
have been very positive, and despite some people here who have criticized the
Who for continuing, especially so quickly, the press has seemed to be fair
regarding this issue.  I have also been noticing that those from this list
who ripped Pete and Rog for going on have quickly changed their tunes after
taking in a show.  The Who have done 9 concerts on this tour thusfar, and I
have seen 6 of them (probably more than anyone on this list at this point),
and NONE of the ones I have seen were without the Who fire.  Even the
6th-ranked, IMHO, was still amazing (autowest/sac valley).  I ranked it last
because roger's voice was a bit inconsistent, prob due to the inspired
performance he had given the previous night, and the fact that Pete didn't
jam out to the extent he had the prior 2.  Hollywood Bowl i ranked 4th, and
this was an amazing show.  The other observation I have made is that those
locals I have spoken to who saw them in 2000 stated that these performances
were noticeably superior, especially roger's voice.  If this is truly the
last of the Who (tho pete's comments at MSG aug 1 contradict this), the taste
the mouths of those who have seen them is a sweet one.  Every show can't be
jaw-dropping, but even kevin said that the band sounded and played great in
Boston, even though the show was 3rd best of the 3 he saw.  He also
attributed the lack of "magic" in part to bad sound at the venue.

mc

"Just fucking listen and shut up!"- Pete Townshend live in Long Beach 1971